Every parent intends to provide a lifestyle to their kids that can pave the way to a healthy life. Children’s bodies change as they grow and so do their eyes and eyesight. Eye health is often neglected but it is something that is equally vital and must be taken care of from an early age. According to eye specialists, it is important to teach children how their overall health habits affect their eyes and vision. Good eye habits must start at a young age which will help create a lifestyle that will promote eye and vision health for a lifetime.
Here is what the eye specialist doctors suggest for your child’s eye health
- Boost your kids’ visual engagement by introducing high contrasting colours and patterns around them. These fun toys help promote visual development among kids.
- Best eye hospitals suggest introducing your children to a good eating routine. This will help them develop healthy habits. A balanced diet full of nutrients such as zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamins A, C and E have been found to be beneficial to eye health.
- According to Kid’s eye specialists, paediatric eye injuries can be prevented. Equip your kids with proper eyewear with UV protection when they are out in the sun. Safety eyewear made of polycarbonate lenses and shatterproof plastic offer ideal eye protection.
- Monitoring screen time for kids can help keep a check on their eye health. Encourage children to follow the 20-20-20 rule, which is to look up from the screen every 20 minutes and look at something at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
Foods to help maintain kids’ eye health
Best Eye Specialists for Kids suggest including healthy food in your child’s diet to maintain their eye health.
- Fish – Salmon, Tuna and Mackerel are great sources of Omega-3 Fatty Acids that help maintain children’s eye health. The Omega-3 helps in maintaining the lubrication in your child’s eyes that prevent dry eye syndrome.
- Leafy Green Vegetables – We have all been hearing about the benefits of green leafy vegetables. Kalee, Spinach and Collard greens are high in lutein and zeaxanthin that help ward off free radicals in the eyes. According to the best eye specialist, these vegetables prevent macular degeneration and cataract formation as your child grows older.
- Eggs and Carrots – Eggs are rich in Vitamin A that can help prevent night blindness and dry eyes. Carrots also contain high levels of beta-carotene, which is a precursor of this vitamin. Both eggs & carrots help promote healthy eyesight.
- Fruits & Berries – Some of the best eye specialists in Delhi say it’s best to give your child citrus fruits and berries as snacks instead of junk or packed food. Fruits that are rich in Vitamin C can improve the immune system of your child, and also protect against eye infections and other diseases.
Signs your kids need an eye doctor
Eye Problems when left unattended can affect your child’s performance. Therefore, it is very important to understand eye health and recognise the early signs of vision problems in your child. While regular eye checkups with eye specialists for kids are a must, you should also keep a constant check if your child is exhibiting vision issues. If you notice your kids squinting, rubbing eyes frequently, or becoming sensitive to light, these can be a few symptoms that your child needs eye care from an eye doctor.
Some problems you can detect just by looking at your kid’s eyes. Consult the best eye specialist to determine the urgency of a comprehensive exam by an ophthalmologist. The doctors in the best eye hospital in Delhi NCR suggest that if a child finds it difficult to recognise colours, it is a sign to get a comprehensive eye examination with your doctor.
Eye Health and Eye Care are important for every child to make sure there aren’t any vision issues. Eye care begins at birth and lasts a lifetime. A vision problem can interfere with children’s learning potential. Viaan has some of the best eye specialists in Delhi NCR.