Conjunctivitis also known as ‘pink eye’ is an inflammation of the conjunctiva, the clear tissue that lines the inside surface of your eyelid and the outer coating of the eyes. This tissue helps keep your eyeballs and eyelids moist.
Basically, pink eye can occur in one or both eyes at the same time. If it occurs in both the eyes, it tends to be caused by a virus.
Though getting pink eye can be irritating, it rarely affects your eyesight. Furthermore, as pink eye can be contagious, early diagnosis and proper treatments can help ease the discomfort of conjunctivitis and also can help limit its spread.
Symptoms of Conjunctivitis include:
- Redness in one or both the eyes
- Itchiness around the eyelids
- A gritty feeling in one or both eyes
- A fluid discharge in one or both the eyes that forms a layer during the sleep time that may prevent eyes from opening during morning hours
How can I prevent spreading the pink eye (conjunctivitis) infection?
If you or your dear one has bacterial or viral pink eye, your doctor may recommend staying home from work, college or from being anywhere in the public till the time you are no longer contagious.
Check with your eye specialist in Gurgaon to find out how long that may take and take preventive measures accordingly in your daily routine. Typically, you are less likely to spread the virus if you have been consuming antibiotics for 24 hours or no longer have symptoms.
Following good general hygiene and eye care practices can also help prevent the spread of pink eye. Dr. Neeraj Sanduja suggests that you include the following practices in your hygiene:
- Avoid touching or rubbing your infected eye(s)
- Wash your hands often with water and soap
- Use fresh cotton balls to clean the discharge from your eyes, and immediately discard the cotton ball.
- Do not share personal items such as make-up, towels, cups or contact lenses.
When should you consult an eye doctor near me?
- An increase in sensitivity to light, especially if it’s severe
- Pain in eyes
- Feeling if there is something stuck inside the eyes
- Large amount of discharge from eyes
- Worsening symptoms
Viaan Eye and Retina Centre is a leading Eye Clinic in Gurgaon that offers eye care services ranging from consulting to Laser eye surgery. In the meantime, if you experience any of the above-mentioned problems, you can schedule an appointment with us.