With technology, we are progressing towards digitalization in every aspect of our life and we are also moving towards an unhealthy lifestyle. In the last couple of years, the numbers of contact lens and spectacle users have risen drastically. And, all the credit goes to the long working hours on laptops and computers that have become an inseparable part of today’s lifestyle.
Nowadays, people spend more than 9-to-5 with work from home culture taking the toll. Our eyes are at work most of the time during the day which is affecting our eyes’ health and overall wellbeing.
All the best ophthalmologists in Gurgaon and around the world believe that if you make eye exercises a part of your daily regime, you can reduce the chances of developing an eye-related disorder or any sorts of problems.
So, let’s learn how to practice the following eye exercises:
Palming: It is one of the perfect exercises for relaxation of the eyes, mind and body. It is the practice of covering the eyes with the hands while resting your eyes from all light stimulation. Here’s how you to do it:
- Sit in a comfortable position
- Close your eyes
- Gently rub your palms against each other to generate heat
- Place your hands it on your eyelids
- Hold on this position for 15 to 20 seconds
- Repeat at least 5 times
Blinking: Full, frequent blinking helps outweigh any discomfort you may feel as it helps you keep your eyes from getting itchy or irritated. It helps provide clear contact lenses and better vision. Here’s how to practice the exercise:
- Sit or stand in a comfortable position
- Keep all your electronic devices away
- Start blinking fast, as much as 20-25 per set
- Take a small break of 10 seconds and start again
- Repeat it 4-5 times
Eye Rotation: Practicing eye rotation exercise while breathing in a rhythmic pattern will restore balance in your eye muscles. See how you should do it:
- Sit or Stand in a comfortable position
- Lock focus of your eyes straight in front of you
- Try to rotate your eyeballs towards your right
- Then towards the left, up and down
- This completes one cycle
- Practice this for a minute at least everyday
Figure 8: Drawing the figure 8 activates and integrates the left and right hemispheres of the brain which gets the eyes moving (shifting) and relaxes and brings full mobility to the neck. This results in clear eyesight at all distances, close and far with equally clear eyesight in the left and right eyes. Practice it this way:
- Sit in a relaxed position
- Imagine or keep a drawing of figure 8 in front of you
- Move your eyeballs on the outline of figure 8
- Repeat this exercise 5-6 times in a day
Up & Down: This eye exercise is designed to strengthen your eye muscles, help you focus, ease eye movements, and stimulate your brain’s vision center. Do it like this:
- Sit with your spine erect and muscles relaxed
- Move your eyeballs up and down at least 10 times
- Take a break of 10 seconds and repeat the same
- Do this exercise for at least 10 minutes in a day
It is advisable to also visit an eye hospital near me at least twice a year in order to ensure good health of your eyes and control any sorts of vision problems. Along with the healthy diet and regular check-up, these exercises will improve your eyesight.
Viaan Eye and Retina Centre is the leading Eye Clinic in Gurugram that offers eye care services ranging from consulting to Laser eye surgery. Dr. Neeraj Sanduja is amongst the top eye specialist doctors across the country who is sought for eye surgeries from across the globe.
In the meantime, if you experience any of the above-mentioned problems, you can schedule an appointment with us.
Call us: + 91 – 9958065151